IMPACT – a Sino-Swedish collaboration to combat antibiotic resistance
In the IMPACT project contributing factors to the development and spread of antibiotic resistance are addressed through a holistic approach within a geographically defined area in China. Recent technical advances within molecular biology permit new questions to be asked.
Phone: +46 10 205 23 95
The Sino-Swedish integrated multi-sectoral partnership for antibiotic resistance containment (IMPACT) was funded from 2014 to 2018 by the Swedish Research Council (VR) and National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC). The project brings together a wide range of expertise in Sweden and China in the area of antibiotic use and resistance.
Project summary (pdf)
Main areas included in the IMPACT research collaboration were:
- knowledge, attitudes and practice concerning human and animal antibiotic use
- distribution of resistant bacteria and genetic elements within the human, animal, environmental and health care sectors
- design, implementation and evaluation of strategies to promote rational use of antibiotics and to limit the spread of antibiotic resistance in all sectors.
- China Agricultural University
- Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
- Linköping University, Sweden
- National Food Agency, Sweden
- National Veterinary Institute, Sweden
- Public Health Agency of Sweden
- Shandong Academy of Agricultural Science, China
- Shandong Center for Disease Control and Prevention, China
- Shandong University, China
- Zhejiang University, China
Zou H, Zheng B, Sun M, Ottoson J, Li Y, Berglund B, et al. Evaluating dissemination mechanisms of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in rural environments in China by using CTX-M-producing Escherichia coli as an indicator. Microb Drug Resist 2019. Accepted.
- Chi X, Berglund B, Zou H, Zheng B, Börjesson S, Ji X, et al. Characterization
of clinically relevant strains of extended-spectrum β-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae occurring in environmental sources in a rural area of China by using whole-genome sequencing. Front Microbiol 2019 Feb.
Dyar OJ, Yin J, Ding L, Wikander K, Zhang T, Sun C, et al. Antibiotic use in people and pigs: a One Health survey of rural residents' knowledge, attitudes and practices in Shandong province, China. J Antimicrob Chemother 2018 Oct 1;73(10):2893-2899.
- Ma S, Sun C, Hulth A, Li J, Nilsson LE, Zhou Y, et al. Mobile colistin resistance gene mcr-5 in porcine Aeromonas hydrophila. J Antimicrob Chemother 2018 Jul 1;73(7):1777-1780.
- Li J, Hulth A, Nilsson LE, Börjesson S, Chen B, Bi Z, et al. Occurrence of the mobile colistin resistance gene mcr-3 in Escherichia coli from household pigs in rural area. J Antimicrob Chemother 2018 Jun 1;73(6):1721-1723.
- Hanna N, Sun P, Sun Q, Li X, Yang X, Ji X, et al. Presence of antibiotic residues in various environmental compartments of Shandong province in eastern China and its potential for resistance development and ecological and human risk. Environ Int 2018 May;114:131-142.
- Sun C, Zhang P, Ji X, Fan R, Chen B, Wang Y, et al. Presence and molecular
characteristics of oxazolidinone resistance in staphylococci from household
animals in rural China. J Antimicrob Chemother 2018 May 1;73(5):1194-1200.
- Bi Z, Sun C, Börjesson S, Chen B, Ji X, Berglund B, et al. Identical genotypes of community-associated MRSA (ST59) and livestock-associated MRSA (ST9) in humans and pigs in rural China. Zoonoses Public Health 2018 May;65(3):367-371.
- Sun Q, Wang Y, Hulth A, Xiao Y, Nilsson LE, Li X, et al. Study protocol for One Health data collections, analyses and intervention of the Sino-Swedish Integrated Multi-sectoral Partnership for Antibiotic Resistance Containment (IMPACT). BMJ Open 2018 Jan 21;8(1):e017832.
- Sun P, Bi Z, Nilsson M, Zheng B, Berglund B, Stålsby Lundborg C, et al. Occurrence of blaKPC-2, blaCTX-M and mcr-1 in Enterobacteriaceae from well water in rural China. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2017 Mar 24;61(4).
- Cars O, Xiao Y, Stålsby Lundborg C, Nilsson LE, Shen J, Sun Q, et al. Building bridges to operationalize One Health – a Sino-Swedish collaboration to tackle antibiotic resistance. One Health 2016 Sep 17;2:139-143.
- Factsheet (Chinese) (pdf)
- Factsheet (English) (pdf)