Herbal products for smoking
An herbal product for smoking that is intended for consumers on the Swedish market must meet certain requirements. Here you can find information, among other things, about requirements for reporting of ingredients and health warnings.
What is an herbal product for smoking?
An herbal product for smoking means a product based on plants, herbs or fruits which contains no tobacco and that can be consumed via a combustion process.
If an herbal product for smoking is classified as a drug or a substance harmful to health
The Act on Tobacco and Similar Products is not applicable if an herbal product for smoking is classified as a drug or a substance harmful to health.
It is forbidden to smoke herbal products for smoking in certain indoor and outdoor environments, so-called smoke-free environments. These environments are the same as the ones for tobacco products.
Here you will find more information about smoke-free environments.
When herbal products for smoking is provided to consumers on the Swedish market
Only herbal products for smoking that has submitted information about its ingredients and where the unit packet and any outside packaging has the correct health warnings may be provided to consumers on the Swedish market. An herbal product for smoking that do not comply with these requirements may not be placed on the Swedish market.
Reporting of ingredients of herbal products for smoking
Manufacturers and importers of herbal products for smoking are required to submit to the Agency a list of all ingredients, and quantities thereof, that are used in the manufacture of such products by brand name and type. You shall also inform us when the composition of a product is modified in a way that changes previous submitted information. This information shall be submitted via EU-CEG six weeks prior to the placing on the Swedish market of a new or modified herbal product for smoking.
See the following links for information about EU-CEG, EU Login account and how to register for a Submitter ID:
Accurate submitter details
It is important that the submitter details in EU-CEG is complete and accurate, such as e-mail address and postal address. The Agency will use this information in our communication.
You have the possibility in your submission to mark all information that you consider to be a trade secret or otherwise confidential. You shall upon our request, duly justify these claims.
Publicly available information on herbal products for smoking
Information that is not confidential about submitted herbal products for smoking is displayed in the Excel file below. This does not mean that the Agency has verified that the products meet all legal requirements. Only herbal products for smoking whose launch date have passed, and not been withdrawn by the submitter are displayed.
The file is updated once a month. The date for last update is displayed in the file.
Health warnings for herbal products for smoking
Each unit packet and any outside packaging of herbal products for smoking that is intended for consumers on the Swedish market shall carry health warnings in Swedish. Manufacturers and importers are responsible that the packaging carries correct health warnings.
Each unit packet and any outside packaging of herbal products for smoking shall carry the following health warning:
Att röka denna produkt skadar din hälsa.
The health warning shall:
- be printed on the front and back external surface of the unit packet and on any outside packaging,
- cover 30 percent of the area of the corresponding surface of the unit packet and of any outside packaging,
- be printed in black Helvetica bold type on a white background,
- use the font size that ensures that the text occupies the greatest possible proportion of the surface reserved for the health warning,
- be at the centre of the surface reserved for them, and on cuboid packets and any outside packaging they shall be parallel to the lateral edge of the unit packet or of the outside packaging.
Unit packets and any outside packaging of herbal products for smoking shall not include any elements or features that:
- promotes an herbal product for smoking or encourages its consumption by creating an erroneous impression about its characteristics, health effects, risks or emissions; labels shall not include any information about the nicotine, tar or carbon monoxide content of the herbal product for smoking,
- suggests that a particular herbal product for smoking is less harmful than others or aims to reduce the effect of some harmful components of smoke or has vitalising, energetic, healing, rejuvenating, natural, organic properties or has other health or lifestyle benefits,
- resembles a food or a cosmetic product.
About advertising and excise duty
If you have questions about advertising of herbal products for smoking, please contact the Swedish Consumer Agency.
If you have questions if herbal products for smoking is covered by excise duty, please contact the Swedish Tax Agency.
If the rules are not followed
Only herbal products for smoking that meet this regulation may be made available on the Swedish market.
The regulations on which this information is based
- The Public Health Agency of Sweden's regulations on the Health Warning and the Reporting of Ingredients for Herbal Products for Smoking, HSLF-FS 2016:44 (in Swedish)
You have always an obligation to know what the law requires. The information on this website is only intended to serve as an aid to you and does not replace what is stated in the law. There may also be other laws, or regulations from other authorities, that you need to be aware of. The Agency cannot guarantee that the information on this website is always up to date.