Herbal products for smoking
An herbal product for smoking that is intended for consumers on the Swedish market must fulfil the reporting of ingredients by its manufacturer or importer. The packaging of herbal products shall also carry health warnings.
What is an herbal product for smoking?
An herbal product for smoking means a product based on plants, herbs or fruits which contains no tobacco and that can be consumed via a combustion process.
What if an herbal product for smoking is classified as a narcotic drug or a substance harmful to health?
The Act on Tobacco and Similar Products is not applicable if an herbal product for smoking is classified as a narcotic drug or a substance harmful to health.
It is forbidden to smoke herbal products for smoking in certain indoor and outdoor environments in Sweden, so-called smoke-free environments.
Providing herbal product for smoking to consumers on the Swedish market
No registration or permit is required to provide herbal products for smoking in Sweden. Only herbal products for smoking that comply with the rules on reporting of ingredients and labelling on its packaging may be provided to consumers on the Swedish market.
Reporting of ingredients of herbal products for smoking
The manufacturer and importer are required to submit the reporting of ingredients of herbal products for smoking to us.
The submission shall include a list of all ingredients, and quantities thereof, that are used in the manufacture of such products by brand name and type. You shall also inform us when the composition of a product is modified in a way that changes previous submitted information.
The submission shall be submitted via EU-CEG six weeks prior to the placing on the Swedish market of a new or modified herbal product for smoking. When you stop providing an herbal product for smoking in Sweden, remember to withdraw its Swedish product presentation from the EU-CEG.
Submitter ID and EU-CEG
In order to be able to report ingredients of herbal products for smoking via EU-CEG you need:
- EU Login account.
- EU-CEG Submitter ID. This application is done on the European Commission website EU Common Entry Gate (EU-CEG).
Accurate submitter details
It is important that the submitter details in EU-CEG is complete and accurate, such as e-mail address and postal address. We will use this information in our communication with you.
You have the possibility in your submission to mark all information that you consider to be a trade secret or otherwise confidential. You shall upon our request, duly justify these claims.
Publicly available information on herbal products for smoking
Information that is not confidential about submitted herbal products for smoking is displayed in the list and Excel file below.
- The list only contains information about reported products. We have not verified that these products meet all legal requirements.
- Presented in the list are products that consumers can expect to find on the Swedish market. Meaning products that were reported at least six weeks ago, whose submitted launch date has passed and submitted withdrawal date has not passed.
- Published ingredients per product is not a complete declaration of all the ingredients in the product. Ingredients that make up a very small amount of the product are considered to be trade secrets and are not public.
- The list is updated once a month. This may cause some delay before newly launched products are visible in the list, and before products that have been withdrawn from the Swedish market are removed from the list.
Additional information about herbal products for smoking
Publicly available information on herbal products for smoking
In the Excel-file below you can find a concise version of the list.
Rapporterade tobaksvaror och örtprodukter för rökning.xlsx
xlsx (160 kB)
Omfattar produkter inrapporterade till och med
Health warnings on packaging for herbal products for smoking
Packaging of herbal products for smoking that is intended for consumers on the Swedish market shall carry health warnings in Swedish. Manufacturers and importers are responsible that the packaging carries correct health warnings.
- Unit packet, the smallest individual packaging of an herbal product for smoking that is placed on the market, and
- Outside packaging, any packaging in which an herbal product for smoking are placed on the market and which includes a unit packet or an aggregation of unit packets; transparent wrappers are not regarded as outside packaging.
Each packaging of herbal products for smoking shall carry the following health warning:
Att röka denna produkt skadar din hälsa.
The health warning shall:
- be printed on the front and back external surface of the unit packet and on any outside packaging,
- cover 30 percent of the area of the corresponding surface of the unit packet and of any outside packaging,
- be printed in black Helvetica bold type on a white background,
- use the font size that ensures that the text occupies the greatest possible proportion of the surface reserved for the health warning, and
- be at the centre of the surface reserved for them, and on cuboid packets and any outside packaging they shall be parallel to the lateral edge of the unit packet or of the outside packaging.
Packaging of herbal products for smoking shall not include any elements or features that:
- promotes an herbal product for smoking or encourages its consumption by creating an erroneous impression about its characteristics, health effects, risks or emissions; labels shall not include any information about the nicotine, tar or carbon monoxide content of the herbal product for smoking,
- suggests that a particular herbal product for smoking is less harmful than others or aims to reduce the effect of some harmful components of smoke or has vitalising, energetic, healing, rejuvenating, natural, organic properties or has other health or lifestyle benefits, or
- resembles a food or a cosmetic product.
Advertising and excise duty
If you have questions about advertising of herbal products for smoking, please contact the Swedish Consumer Agency (konsumentverket.se).
If you have questions about excise duty in regards to herbal products for smoking, please contact the Swedish Tax Agency (skatteverket.se).
If the rules are not followed
Only herbal products for smoking that meet this regulation may be made available on the Swedish market.
The regulations on which this information is based
- The Public Health Agency of Sweden's regulations on the Health Warning and the Reporting of Ingredients for Herbal Products for Smoking, HSLF-FS 2016:44 (in Swedish)
You have always an obligation to know what the law requires. The information on this website is only intended to serve as an aid to you and does not replace what is stated in the law. There may also be other laws, or regulations from other authorities, that you need to be aware of. The Agency cannot guarantee that the information on this website is always up to date.