The use of antibiotics is linked to both the emergence and spread of resistance. Therefore, it is important to use antibiotics rationally – only when needed and in the correct way.
Our tasks within the area of antibiotics and antimicrobial resistance involve:
- working to preserve the ability to effectively use antibiotics against bacterial infections in humans and animals
- compiling and actively imparting knowledge to the health services, social services and to the general public on issues that concern antibiotic resistance
- participating in ensuring that prescribers, other concerned professional groups and the general public apply the knowledge available on antibiotic resistance
- promoting initiatives at local and regional level on issues related to antibiotic resistance
- drawing attention to issues that concern antimicrobial resistance other than antibiotic resistance, healthcare-associated diseases and infection control, within the field of activities of the Agency.