Product requirements regulates the content and packaging of roll-your-own tobacco. You as a manufacturer or importer are responsible to ensure that the product are compliant with these product requirements.
Roll-your-own-tobacco must not contain:
- Vitamins or other additives that create the impression that a product has a health benefit or presents reduced health risks.
- Caffeine, taurine or other additives or stimulant compounds that are associated with energy and vitality.
- Additives that have colouring properties for emissions.
- Additives that facilitate inhalation or nicotine uptake.
- Additives that have carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic to reproduction properties in unburnt form.
- Flavourings in any of their components such as filters, papers, packages, capsules or any technical features allowing modification of the smell or taste of roll-your-own tobacco or their smoke intensity.
- Tobacco or nicotine in filters, papers or capsules.
We can, on the basis of scientific evidence, prohibit the placing on the market of roll-your-own tobacco containing additives in quantities that increase the toxic or addictive effect, or the carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic to reproduction properties of a product at the stage of consumption to a significant or measureable degree.
Prohibition of roll-your-own tobacco with a characterising flavour
It is prohibited to provide roll-your-own tobacco with a characterising flavour on the Swedish market. Characterising flavour is a clearly noticeable smell or taste other than one of tobacco, resulting from an additive or a combination of additives, including, but not limited to, fruit, spice, herbs, alcohol, candy, menthol or vanilla, which is noticeable before or during the consumption of the tobacco product.
The prohibition of roll-your-own tobacco with a characterising flavour does not exclude the use of additives which are essential for the manufacture of the product provided those additives do not result in a product with a characterising flavour and do not increase to a significant or measureable degree the addictiveness, toxicity or the carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic to reproduction properties of the product.
There is a procedure that we use when determining whether or not roll-your-own tobacco has a characterising flavour:
Determination of characterising flavours in tobacco products (health.ec.europa.eu)
A unit packet of roll-your-own tobacco must:
- Contain at least 30 grams of tobacco.
- Have a cuboid or cylindrical shape or the form of a pouch.